RE: 78 Clutch replacement

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: 78 Clutch replacement
From: Ken Strayhorn <ken@dukecomm.duke.edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 08:54:51 -0500
Richard asked:

>Vaguely on the subject, my wife is toying with the idea of giving me a
>workshop lift for my next birthday - soon after the new year we are moving
>into a new house with a HUGE workshop, c/w 3-phase supply.  Anyone got a
>problem with the idea of slinging a SOLID bit of wood across the lift, and
>using a rope (or chain) wrapped around that to lift an engine?

With the cost of good wood the way it is these days, just
do what I did - bought an "I" beam and made a proper
overhead hoist. A 12-ft section of "I" beam was $100 from
the local metal shop. I had a carpenter make pillars from
4x4 treated wood and braced them to the side walls of the shop.
The beam rests on top. A 1-ton chain hoist runs about $50.
I paid the carpenter with two cases of beer (a competent
carpenter can make those pillars in less than a half
hour). You could probably get the beam for less if you
have a construction salvage yard in your area.

Believe me, you won't believe how much easier life is when
you have access to overhead lift. In my "shade tree
mechanic" days I did the usual thing of using a cable
puller attached to white oak limbs, home-built scaffolds,
and all sorts of unsafe things. Never again. Wood has
a bad habit of cracking and splintering when you put
a load on it like this.

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC