Re: Towed Home

To: gschluge@cstone.net, Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Towed Home
From: Cwn74@aol.com
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 19:00:16 EDT
In a message dated 9/19/2001 12:34:15 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
gschluge@cstone.net writes:

> I have a 1976 spit, that has started acting up.  I am not sure if it is
> ignition or fuel.  It runs for about 20 miles and quits, backfires, runs
> rough, stalls.  I thought it was the electronic ignition for sure.  I
> ordered another XR-700 from Crane Cams Inc.  Same part number that was on
> the car.  I am told that dealers put this item on new cars because the
> Lucas
> electronic ignition was not reliable.  The new module was smaller but
> looked
> the same otherwise.  Here is the sad story:
> 1. I put the new module in, same problem
> 2. I put the new sensor in, seemed to be better but same problem, it ran 30
> miles before giving up.
> 3. I put a new coil in, no difference.
> 4, Dwell is running constant at 40
> 5. Timing light shows 10 degrees advance.
>
> Everything seems in order but I am still having periods of stalling, rough
> running.

I had the same problem when I first installed the Crane system.

Set the spark plug gap to 0.025" (stock)
If you opened it up expecting more voltage = bigger gap, that screws up the
logic in the module.  Put new plugs in.

Also, make sure the rotor in the distributor is pointing at the plug wire
contact when firing!  you can install the pickup in a convenient position
only to find the firing of the coil happens when the rotor is off contact.

Also, check the coil temperature after running a distance. If it's too hot to
touch, you need to insert a ballast resistor in series with the positive wire
to the coil as described in the installation information.

I'm not sure if there's anything more about this there, but check the
spitfire pages on my website (below).

When all's ok, the Crane system is one of the best things I added to my
Spitfire to make it a more enjoyable and reliable car!

Keep in touch...

Clark

"If it's not fun why do it?" Jerry Greenfield
Clark W. Nicholls
CWNicholls@aol.com
http://members.aol.com/CWNicholls -or- www.cwnicholls.com
fax: 419-844-7564 (yes, 419 provided free by efax.com)
phone: 413-243-3433