Towed Home

To: "Spitfires (E-mail)" <Spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Towed Home
From: "Greg Schluge" <gschluge@cstone.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 00:25:24 -0400
I have a 1976 spit, that has started acting up.  I am not sure if it is
ignition or fuel.  It runs for about 20 miles and quits, backfires, runs
rough, stalls.  I thought it was the electronic ignition for sure.  I
ordered another XR-700 from Crane Cams Inc.  Same part number that was on
the car.  I am told that dealers put this item on new cars because the Lucas
electronic ignition was not reliable.  The new module was smaller but looked
the same otherwise.  Here is the sad story:
1. I put the new module in, same problem
2. I put the new sensor in, seemed to be better but same problem, it ran 30
miles before giving up.
3. I put a new coil in, no difference.
4, Dwell is running constant at 40
5. Timing light shows 10 degrees advance.

Everything seems in order but I am still having periods of stalling, rough
running.

I seem to have ruled out the ignition system and I am starting on the fuel
system.  I just ordered a new fuel pump and a carb rebuild kit.  Any other
suggestions.

Regards,
Greg Schluge