69 and 72 1296cc comparability

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: 69 and 72 1296cc comparability
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 12:34:54 -0700
>Is there any difference between a 72 and a 69 1296 cc engine? Would the
parts
>interchange between the two so the best parts of each could be combnined to
>make one?
>Looks to me like the 67 through 72 share many of the same components.
>The 72 1296cc is FK28968UE.
Basically everything is the same (or interchangeable) with the exception of
the block, crank (plus anything associated with that item except the
flywheel) and the rods
Unfortunately, there is no best of both.  The earlier engine, 70 and
earlier 1296 is considered by almost everybody to be a superior engine.
The later block in preparation for the increase to 1500 cc and also to
'commonize' parts with the six got a larger, heavier, less free reeving
crank less compression, and no increase in displacement to compensate.