Miscellaneous questions (lots of miscellaneous questions)

To: "Spitlist" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Miscellaneous questions (lots of miscellaneous questions)
From: "BillG" <wrgingerich@qwest.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 11:08:07 -0500
Greetings, Fellow Listers,

The assembly of FrankenSpit continues, and I have several miscellaneous
questions.  So let's address these by area as we go on a virtual tour of the
front of the car.

Front hubs/bearings - is there a way to tell if the front wheel bearings are
worn?  When I pulled the hubs off there was so much grease inside I was
surprised the axle fit (OK, not really.)  How much grease should be packed
into the hubs?  Any other problems I should look for?

Front suspension - I purchased a rebuild kit some time ago from a dealer on
Ebay.  While all the parts were there, no instructions were included.  After
careful study of my various manuals, I've figured out how it all goes
together.  My problem is that I have 4 large, thick washers left over.  I can
see no place that they should go, and they don't appear in any of the diagrams
I have.  Ideas?

Release bearing - Should they rattle?  No, really, I know that one!  I have a
new bearing.  The Bentley book mentions renewing both the bearing and the
piece it presses onto.  Am I reading more into this than I should - do you
really replace both?  Or is just the bearing sufficient?

Engine assembly - The rebuild shop assembled the bottom end and installed the
cam, gears, & chain for me.  I'm ready to install the head, pan, front cover,
etc.  Does the head gasket use any kind of sealant? (My guess is no)  I'm
thinking I will use a sealer on the pan & front cover, just to head off any
leaks.  Any recommendations?  Any tricks to the sealing block?  Those wood
wedges seem like a very weird design.  How critical is the distributor end
float?  I've read through all the assembly procedures repeatedly.  Are there
other particular areas to look out for?

Clutch cylinders - Absolutely no instructions were in the rebuild kits for the
clutch cylinders.  Since I've never done this, I'm not real sure how to
proceed.  First of all, the clutch seemed to work OK before, so doing the
cylinders is more of a
while-it's-apart-what-the-hell-why-not-maybe-I'll-use-DOT5 situation.  Do I
need to hone the bores, or can I just install the new parts?

I realize this is a long list, and I thank you all for putting up with my
ignorance and marginal lack of confidence.  With your help, perhaps I'll even
get to drive it a few times before the snow hits.

BillG
FrankenSpit - '74
Rip Van Spitfire - '73 in long term slumber, but a great reference
Dorian "primer" Grey - '71 GT6, and hopefully the next long term project