Master Clutch Cylinder

To: spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Master Clutch Cylinder
From: Johnnie Blaze <johnblaze@vrk11.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 20:14:06 -0600 (MDT)
Ok, well I finally got around to working on my spit again, thanks to
seeing all the beauties up in Breckenridge.  As some of you will recall
the fiasco of me putting the wrong fluid into my master cylinder I have
been forced to do a rebuild. Well ive managed to get to the point where
both the master and slave are out, but here is where im stuck .

Refering to the master at this point - In the Haynes manual it tells you
how to remove the push rod, complete with metal retaining ring from the
cylinder. Then it goes on to say (pg 135 part 3.6) "With a small electric
screwdriver lift the tag on the spring retainer which engages against the
shoulder on the front of the piston shank and separate the piston from the
retainer."

This has me completely stumped as all I can see when I take the pushrod
out is a concave metal receiver (seal?) ..

What is the correct procedure for getting this spring retainer
disengaged??

Thanks everyone for their help

--Chad M. Larsen