Re: Weekend travels

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Weekend travels
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 06:29:54 +0100
In article <00d401c0e3bc$deddab80$7b85403e@zebu>, Graham Stretch
<technical@iwnet.screaming.net> writes

>Hi Mike
>Sorry to hear about your little problem on your travels. If you do not want
>to be doing the head gasket again soon, re-torque the head (tighten to the
>specified torque without slackening off first) after it has been run to
>operating temp. Then do it again after 500 - 1000 miles!

I fully intend to!   Despite this being a cast-iron head, rather than
aluminium, I'm more than happy to follow the traditional "running-in"
procedures to avoid any repetition of last Sunday. :-)

> As an aside, I
>check it about once a year at full service time, when I will be setting the
>tappets any way, so why not whip the rocker shaft off and make sure. It is
>usually possible to get a slight movement before the wrench cracks, and yes
>it is in calibration!

Noted.   This is one I would not have thought of doing - thanks.

ATB
--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea"

///