Re: Front Spring Shortening

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Front Spring Shortening
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 17:32:57 -0400 (EDT)
NEVER....NEVER Cut springs with a torch!  YOu will end up ruining the temper
of the spring.

Instead, cut it with a cut-off saw and do it a bit at a time.  It is very
difficult to add bits back
to the spring.  When the coil is cut, use a
series of vice grips on the coils to act as heat-syncs to absorb the heat
and keep it from from
traveling down the coils.  Heat the end of the spring
only enough to bend it against the next coil (the way it was) and use your
cutoff say to taper the
remaining bit of the end coil until the cut off end
sits flat.

You may have to do this 2 or 3 times before you get the height like you want
it.  This is not a
precise process because when you shorten the spring
the overall rate (stiffness) increases.  If you don't like the firm ride
when you get through, you
may have to opt for some competition springs of the
desired height and rate.

KYB's may be ok on the front of a Spit or the back of a later Spit but I
have found that they are
too overly charged for an early swing-axle
suspension and tend to keep the wheels tucked beyond perpendicular.  I have
used SPAX adjustable
shocks on both ends with good success.  BPNW has good
prices on these.

My 2 cents worth (from experience)
Joe

Nolan Penney wrote:

> This is a quote from Tim Suddard, the founder and editor of Grassroots
Motorsports Magazine,
creator of the Roto-Spit, and generall all around Spitfire racer nut.

> Take some GT-6 springs, cut a coil, and wrap them around
>  Konis if you've got bucks (and KYBs if you have no bucks)
>  and you will be happy up front. De-arch the rear spring,
>  block it up an inch and use the same rear shocks. Top it all
>  off with 1" Addco front anti-roll bar and no rear anti-roll
>  bar along with decent 185-60x13" tires on six inch wide
>  wheels and you will have one mean little Spitfire!!
>
> Having cut coil springs myself, I would say go ahead and cut them with a
torch if you have it, or
a hacksaw if you must.  You will hear hysteria over the notion of using a
torch, it's poppy-cock and
bull feathers.  The torch will heat up no more then 2" of the coil metal.
That will flatten, but
that also helps it to distribute the load to the perch.  If a coil is
straight cut, it places a very
high focused load on the perch.

> What are the do's and don't's for
> cutting coils from the springs to