Re: POR-15

To: Rich <rhendrik@tampabay.rr.com>
Subject: Re: POR-15
From: Vic Whitmore <vicwhit@home.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 10:16:45 -0500
I have used the gloss black with great results. It forms a hard coating as it is
an epoxy.

It hardens in reaction to the moisture in the air. As such, it is difficult to
do small jobs spread out over several days as it will harden in the container
after you open it.

Here are some hints on keeping it around longer:

Transfer an amount you will need for a job into a small container. Close and
seal the original container.
Do not pour un-used POR-15 back into the original container.
Avoid stirring as this introduces moisture into it. Stir only when necessary.
Keep in a cool place such as the fridge.
If it thickens, you can thin it with lacquer thinner. Seems to work fine.

Prepare your work pieces:
Clean all the surface rust off. It works OK with a little rust but I like to get
it down to nearly bare metal.
The pieces must have absolutely no grease or oil on them. If so, you will see
fish-eyes form.
Clean with a stronger degreaser like Castrol Super Clean. Thoroughly rinse with
hot hot water and blow dry.
Apply a thin coat as too much will sag. A good coat will flow out to a high
gloss.
You can apply a second coat after the first cures. The finish is hard and you
will need to sand it allow the next coat to cling.

Vic Whitmore
76 Spitfire
Thornhill, Ontario