RE: parts catalog quality

To: "Spitfires" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: parts catalog quality
From: "Michael Burdick" <burdickm@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 20:50:12 -0500
My experience is similar to others with a couple of additions:

TRF does support the early Spitfire but they do not currently publish a
catalog for it.  I have one I got from them 8 or 9 years ago that is quite
good - alas, it is out of print.  You can use a factory parts manual (which
is the ultimate catalog) to order from them as they use the factory part
numbering system.  Their quality is consistantly high, and I have found that
if there is a big price difference between them and another supplier, it is
because the other supplier is supplying a part of lower quality.  Back
orders can be a pain though.

I have had great experiences with  SpitBits.

I use Victoria British as a last resort as they seem to stock parts solely
based on price and the order takers have no information about what brands
they stock.

The few times I have used Rimmers, I have had good experiences.  Their
catalogs are fun to page through!

I dealt with John Kipping before he sold out and had nothing but good
experiences.  I even visited his shop when visiting England and he was
extremely pleasant and helpful.  I have not yet dealt with Canley Classics,
but plan to soon.

Moss Motors USA is on my black list. I have had extremely unpleasant
dealings with them.  Basically, they want nothing to do with early Spits and
have refused to sell me parts for my Mk3 in the past.

I have bought some performance items from Moss UK's TriumphTune division,
but it has been a number of years since I have contacted them - I don't even
know if they still exist.  They put out a really nice performance
manual/catalog at one time.

I guess those are the places I have dealt with the most.  Good luck!

Mike Burdick
70 Spitfire Mk3
Durham NC