Re: MK IV.1500 dash

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <firespiter@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: MK IV.1500 dash
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 13:52:17 -0500
Another way to do this is to use two hole saws.  Use the larger one first,
cutting only to the depth you want the flange.  Then switch to the smaller one,
and cut out the hole inside that flange.  Use the same pilot hole of course.

Definately go back and pick up some scrap wood to practice on.  Using a hole
saw accurately and neatly take a little practice.  They also don't last very
long, going dull in as little 2-3 holes.  You get what you pay for in hole saws.

If you invision yourself doing large hole cuttings for other things in your
life, you may wish to spend a little money to buy a special type of drill bit
that has a cutter blade on a bar.  The name escapes me at the moment.   It's
adjustable for hole size by how you position the rod through the bit.  They
really aren't that expensive, especially compared to the several hole saws you
need to buy.  They produce a much neater hole then a hole saw does.

All this can be done holding the drill in your hand.  However, it is more
accurate if you use a drill press.

>>> Terry Thompson <firespiter@yahoo.com> 01/26 12:10 PM >>>

The only thing I'm not clear on is how you did the
1/8" recesses around the gauge holes. I can't seem to
find a 1/8" straight cutter with a bearing on it to
make this square shoulder cut. I was hoping that I
could find a router bit that would do a 1/8" shoulder
cut, but can't seem to find such an animal. Can you
clarify how you did this?