Re: Re: "Spiders" (and not arachnids :-) Or Italian "ragni"?

To: Terry Thompson <epharisto@yahoo.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Re: "Spiders" (and not arachnids :-) Or Italian "ragni"?
From: Laura.G@141.com (Laura Gharazeddine)
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 12:26:00 -0700
> So technically, the Itialians Bastardized it first by
> borrowing it from the British carriage makers and
> changing the I to a Y.
> -Terry

Probably because "i" in Italian is pronounced like the letter "e". "Y" in
Italian is sort of a non-letter, it's name in Italian being "Ipsilon" (I had a
surname while there that ended in "y"-So, I got really used to spelling it out
in Italian-it had another non-letter "h"!) So, an Italian, upon seeing "spider"
would pronounce it "speeder".

> P.S. The narrators at the Barrett Jackson Auto Auction
> 2000 answered an Email from a viewer that wanted to
> know the difference between a Carbiolet and a Spyder
> (I was watching it about a week ago on Speedvision).
> The men narrating stated that a Spyder is a
> convertible two seat in the sports car class. And that
> a Carbriolet/Cabrio is a convertible sedan that will
> hold atleast 4 individuals including the driver. I've
> read definitions that are contrary to this on the web,
> including the Pebble Beach Glossery of Car Terms which
> states that a Cabrio is a convertible with windows.
> And  can have an indeterminant number of doors and
> windows.

The latter explanation is the one that I'm familiar with also.

Laura G.

> --- Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net> wrote:
> >
> > Yeah, I kinda had a feeling that it [spider] was an
> > American bastardization
> > of convertibles for the Italian term since it
> > *mainly* referred to Italian
> > cars -
> >
> > Barry Schwartz (San Diego) bschwart@pacbell.net
> >
> > 72 PI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
> > 70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
> > 70 Spitfire (long term project)
> http://auctions.yahoo.com/

Vita brevis est: rapide agite, vigore strigate!