Re: Clutch Hydraulics

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Clutch Hydraulics
From: "Ree Gurley" <reegurley@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 16:43:01 -0600
SUCCESS! (Thanks, Jeff)

Earlier today I said that "I rebuilt my slave and master cylinders" and now
"I'm not getting full (clutch) release."  Jeff McNeal suggested "Remove the
slave cylinder, depress the plunger all the way back into the housing,
reinstall and bleed again...."

That solved the problem.  When I pushed the plunger back, there was a major
spit & sputter as fluid (AND AIR) was released; needless to say, I was
elated with the smell of imminent victory.  After buttoning things back up
(tried real hard to cross the threads putting the hydraulic-line fitting
back on the slave cylinder - that would have been a big OUCH) & bleeding the
system, had a good, firm pedal feel & no visible leakage anywhere.

Cranked up Scruffy, engaged the gears - A-OK.  Did a road-test (actually a
driveway-test), and my clutch is now 100% back in business.  Thanks, Jeff, &
all other Fellow-Listers.

Cheers,  Ree G. in Silver Spring, MD  -  78 Spit  FM73070U O