Re: Triumph Redeux - my opinion

To: SPIT mail list <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Triumph Redeux - my opinion
From: Philip Warburton <cplimey@home.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 21:19:39 -0800
> I took a test drive in a Z3 3.0i last weekend with a
> friend, and when he asked me what I thought of it, I
> told him "it's certainly a tight car. good torque. but
> if I were to define it in a word, it would be -
> sterile."
>
> I'm often called crazy, but if someone drove-up in a
> brand new Miata and told me they'd trade me square for
> my rusty spitfire. I'd think about it half a second
> before I laughed in their face.

I wouldn't even have to think that long!!!!
To me it's a no brainer ...

> I don't think I have to remind everyone that spitfires
> were assembled by hand. Good or bad, they aren't the
> cookie cutter cars of today. They have character,
> personality, imperfections, whatever else you want to
> describe it as.

Yes, they DO have personality. Mine has it's squeaks and rattles and things
that go clunk when you go over certain size bumps etc. If it didn't .. Then
I'd be worried.

> And despite the fact that some of you claim that you
> name your spitfire because "it's cute". I bet atleast
> half of you, think of it as having feelings or senses.
> You don't have to confess to it, but there are a few
> of you that park the Spitfire in the garage, not
> because of cleanliness or safety reasons, but because
> it's heated and you don't want the car to be cold!
> Admit it! And if the heat failed in the garage, you'd
> wake up your wife and tell her that she needs to help
> you move the couch into the garage so you have room
> for the spitfire in the living room. Admit it! You
> know who you are!

Okay ...okay ....!!!!

> Another friend of mine (yes I have more than
> one..atleast imaginary) bought an M roadster when they
> came out. I saw him a couple of months ago at a gas
> station and he told me he gave his Z3 1.8 to his dad
> because this M had more "oomph". I asked him what he
> named it and looked at me funny and said "huh? What do
> you mean? The car?"
>
> If they build a modern car and give it the spitfire
> name, it would be a nice tribute to a great car, but
> at most that's all it would be. And in the least it
> would be a marketing ploy. You know if someone went to
> a British car show with a 2002 Spitfire (looking all
> Miata/boxter/opel like) in the back of your mind you'd
> have a feeling of superior arrogance and think
> "poser".
> You know you would! Okay...Atleast I would. Someone
> agree with me here.

I could not have worded this last part better. For better or worse, the
Triumph marque of old is dead.
The spirit however lives on. So do the some of the cars built then with
people like us.
A Triumph built today would not be a Triumph of old as it would have to meet
sringent safety regulations and government specs ... blah, blah, blah .....
I'll keep mine thank you very much.
To quote a lister from the other day ".... I'd rather have to tell someone
that my Spit left me stranded on the side of the road, cause it means I have