Non-LBC VW elec mystery

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Non-LBC VW elec mystery
From: J Constantino <jjcon2@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 21:16:31 -0800 (PST)
Listers:

I'm at wit's end.  My '89 Golf has a problem that will
not be fixed.  About 3 months ago the temp gauge
started reading high.  My friend had a parts car and I
had to do some other cooling system maint, so I
replaced the Thermostat, radiator, temp sender (4
times, 3 used and one new) and the gauge cluster (3
times also, only $10 in the junkyard,one was an
exchange and one free from my friend's car). I did get
my digital clock fixed in the swap though.

I have stuck a thermometer in the reservoir and it
reads 195 to 202 deg (about 170 -180 out of the
radiator return line)  VW's have a circulating system
through the reservior, if your not familiar with it,
it's the VW way.

The only thing that has made a little difference are
the temp senders, but only by about 5% of the gauge
travel.  It reads about 25-30% high (3/4 of the travel
instead of sitting in the middle at 1/2 travel).

The new temp sender reads 1780 ohms cold, 80 ohms hot.
an old temp sender read 1700 ohms cold.

The wire sends 10.11 volts hot, 10.04 volts cold.

Any ideas?