Re: Engine Rebuild

To: "Graziano, Michael" <michael.graziano@csfb.com>, sos@kymtnnet.org,
Subject: Re: Engine Rebuild
From: Vic Whitmore <vicwhit@home.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 09:07:48 -0500
Michael, that was a great reply, lots of info. I was particularly interested
because I'm starting the process of adding a little oomph to my Spitfire 1500.

You mentioned the "Make nice big D shaped pockets under the valves". I have seen
this mentioned more than once but I don't fully understand it. I am practicing
on a 1500 head now before working on my good one so I would like to know what is
meant by D-shaped. Is the flat of the D across the plane of the valve opening?
The fuel path is coming in on the bottom flat of the D. True?

Here is the list of current items in my project:
Port and polish head
Weber DGV with Pierce manifold
4-2-1 header and big bore SS exhaust from Rimmer's (Phoenix Performance Exhaust)
Air/Fuel Ratio Monitor from CB Performance (for final carb tuning)

Yet to decide:
Flat top pistons. I haven't had the head off engine yet and don't know if I
might have flat tops already. Most likely not as it is a 76 California version.
Replacing pistons means further dismantling of the engine and machine shop work
to bore out for oversize. I would like to avoid the extra cost of machine shop
work and the extra cost of a piston set.
High Performance Cam. Requires further dismantling of engine (beyond just the
head). I am looking for a wider power band rather than peak at high RPM so a
"Road Cam" seems to be the right choice. Which cam do I use? Buy a new one or
send mine off for re-grind?
Plane the head. Requires machine shop work. If so, how much. The competition
manual says .200" but then you get into further problems dealing with the push
rods. I prefer to avoid this and go with just the flat top pistons. This will
raise the compression to around 9:1 I think. Planing would raise the compression
even more and create other problems such as pinging and the need to use higher
octane fuel.

Vic Whitmore
76 Spitfire
Thornhill, Ontario