Breather pipe removal

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Breather pipe removal
From: "DAVID ARMITAGE" <David.Armitage@nottingham.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 16:12:13 +0100
Hi all,

I've just collected the Herald 1147 engine which is to keep me on
the road while I sort out a more permanent replacement for my MkII
spit. The only external difference I've noticed is the Herald engine
has a crankcase breather mounted to the engine block. As the
rocker cover has a breather pipe I assume this pipe is redundant
and I can remove it or block it off. However there is not obvious way
to remove the said pipe, do I simply cut it and plug it (if so what's
recommended to plug it with). Alternatively is there a way of
removing the pipe and plugging the hole left in the block. From
what I see comparing the engines the hole isn't threaded. Any
advice is more than welcome.

Cheers,

David
Dr David Armitage