Re: Tuning/Emissions Question

To: david_schenck <david_schenck@email.msn.com>
Subject: Re: Tuning/Emissions Question
From: Nolan Penney <npenney@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 18:26:56 -0400
MD emissions inspections don't involve you opening the hood.  They only do that
if you (a) fail the test, and (b) then want them to help you possibly diagnose
the problem.

MD emissions inspections also don't care about your idle speed.  So don't get to
worried about setting a true "correct" idle speed.  As long as you are
comfortable with whatever idle speed, let it go at that.

As for emissions stuff (I've got a 1980), the only one that truly got me was
when I attempted to disconnect the carbon cans.  I never did quite figure that
one out, but without that vacuum leak for the carburetor, mine would run exactly
line you describe yours running.  EGR and air pumps don't cause the symptoms you
describe.

However, you seem to be saying this all started when you swapped transmissions.
If that's the case, re-review what you removed and reinstalled to do this job.
The problem is almost assuredly there.