Tuning SU's

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Tuning SU's
From: Flinthoof Ponypal <Flinters@picarefy.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 22:05:33 -0700

I've determined that the miss I have in the '68 is not electrical.  Every
cylinder is firing reliably proven by a timing light and the spark does
actually get to the cylinders.  That's done.

Timing is still set correctly since the car last ran just fine.

All cylinders are nice and strong for compression: 155, 155, 152, 155.
Definately nice and strong.  That compression gauge for $25 was worth the
purchase.

All that is left is that I swapped out carbs when I first got the car
because the jets were seized up solid.  When I swapped out the pair with a
known pair that were working and the jets moved freely with the choke
assembly, the engine started up, ran fantastic, nice and smooth, though a
bit of a high idle.  No miss at all.

It sat for two days and when I went to start it again, it was missing
heavily on a cylinder.  Pulled the plugs and they are all heavy on the
carbon indicating they are running rich.

According to this ol' book on SU's, I need to loosen the throttle linkage
between the carbs.  Done.  Then with the air filters off, independantly
adjust the throttles to get the engine to idle slowly at about 550 RPM.
Impossible.  Engine will die if I try that.  Best I can do is get around
1000 RPM.  Instructions say to adjust the throttles with a rubber hose next
to your ear and at the air intack for each throttle.  Adjust each until
they are even in sound.  Done, though it's pretty darn hard to get them
that close.  It takes quite a bit to get them equal.  They are definately
not equal in the number of turns from zero.   Done.

Now we screw the jets up all the way to bring them level with the bridge
across the air intake, then back them off twelve flats for a base
adjustment.  Done.

Restart the engine and start adjusting the jet screws up and down until the
engine runs smoothly at 550 with no misfiring.  Again impossible.  No luck
at all.  Worse yet, I'm now so far off the engine barely runs.  I was
better off with the steady miss. :/

I think I am at the point where I need to call in the calvary.  Or unstick
the original jets on the first set of carbs and put those on.

Who in the Seattle area is good with SU's?  Huw?

-Vegaman Dan (who could fix Vega's easily, but these Spits are another
beastie altogether)
-66/68/69 Spitui!

 |             |   Equinart Studios * Furry Artist * Model Railroader   |
 |     *U*     |   MINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINT!!   |
 |             |     ConiFur NorthWest 2000 - Furries in Seattle!       |
 | CONIFUR NW  |   Flinters@picarefy.com * http://jarmac.picarefy.com   |