Re: Splitfires & another issue

To: James Gambony <BritBits@tiu.net>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Splitfires & another issue
From: Alan Lemen <alemen@ftconnect.com>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 21:23:51 -0700
James, you hit the nail on the head, Wish though I'd seen it earlier as
I just got around to checking email since I left work on Friday. Had it
diagnosed on Saturday morning by Harold, only problem he did not have a
replacement in stock at his place. Anyway it's the clutch on the fan and
the whole fan moves about 1/4 inch. I tried tonight to gently force the
whole fan back towards the engine. It ran without any noise and there
were no other unexpected noises as I was also fixing the gearbox exhaust
mount (missing when I got the car) and one of the silencer mounts was
loose. It had no rubber mount. Made one and found that whoever fitted
the silencer had put course thread nuts on fine thread bolts! All these
little things I find cause more time to fix than the original problem.

Also it was a great weekend and the car ran fine all the way to Harold
and back and with not needing an expensive fix I really enjoyed the trip
home. Plan on emissions tomorrow or most likely Tuesday as the pre
heater hose fell off and I need to have it in place in case they want to
check all the emissions equipment is there.

Alan
76 Spitfire