Voltage regulator problems?

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Voltage regulator problems?
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 21:16:50 -0700
Hi all.  I'm experiencing a perplexing problem with my audio system.  It
works fine when the engine is off, but as soon as I fire up the car and rev
the engine even a little, the radio sputters and cuts out intermittently.
The ground is solid.  No problem there.  I'm beginning to think that perhaps
my voltage regulator isn't delivering the 22 amps that it's supposed to.
Either that or the generator isn't.  Strange, because my battery seems to be
charging nicely.  The radio needs 12v and 5 amps.  I don't have an ammeter.
But the voltmeter indicates a good charge of close to 15v at 3,000 RPM.
Whaddya think?

Best wishes,

Jeff in San Diego

'67 RHD Spitfire Mk3 aka "Mrs. Jones"
home of the NEW Totally Triumph Auction
and... The Triumph Autos/Parts Wanted Listings
http://www.ohms.com/cgi-bin/TRwanted.cgi
...plus a few other surprises!