Re: ENGINE SWAPPING

To: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: ENGINE SWAPPING
From: Peter Ficklin <pficklin@qnis.net>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 10:14:17 -0700
Correct me if I'm wrong, but my 1147 is about 24" (bottom of oil pan to
top of oil filler cap) high and 26" (bottom of oil pan to top of
radiator tank - on early 1147s it was mounted next to the valve cover,
and is a little higher than the valve cover).  I went out and measured a
1990 Mazda Mi**a with a 1600cc & 5 speed, and the overall engine height
is about 25" -- from the bottom of the oil pan to top of the
injection/intake plenum/cam covers -- 1600cc, 16 valves, DOHC -- food
for thought.  BTW, the M***a has a "space frame" between the engine &
transmisson, so I'm *SURE* frame changes would be necessary if it were
transplanted...

I did not measure output shaft to top or bottom of engine, but assume
it's more-or-less the same as the Spit.

Peter Ficklin
- - - - - - -

Barry Schwartz wrote:

> FWIW -
<SNIP>
> The major problem with using any different engine in the Spitfire (as I see
> it) is vertical clearance - *most* over head camshaft engines, by their
> very nature, are just too tall, without bulging or cutting a hole the hood
> for clearance - the second major hurdle is limited tranny space - that is
> if you don't want or can't do any body or tunnel/frame mods to accommodate
> the new engine.  These were prime factors when I did mine, plus I didn't
> want the engine to frame clearance such that the exhaust couldn't fit
> between the frame rails.  The Spitfire has limited ground clearance as it
> is and having an exhaust pipe hanging WAY below the frame was not
> acceptable to me anyway -
<SNIP>