Re: Confusion

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Confusion
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 05:57:08 -0700
Not entirely solved.  The MK2's never had the later style dash, bet had the
earlier style central mounted one.  The later dash, and it's supporting
structure didn't occur until late in the MK3 lineup - so if it is in fact a
MK2 tub some one went to a lot of trouble to install a later type dash
structure. . or, he/she simply replace a few items like the windshield
frame?, or rear panel, possibly from a previous rear impact and didn't or
couldn't get a 70 style plinth (which was of course destroyed in the
accident :-}), so just used the MK2, early MK3 light treatment which is
more readily available and which is what I'll be doing to the 70 project
(if I EVER finish it) - OR. . . the factory just carried over the tub ,
when they started the 70 MK3 line but didn't have any rear plinth's
available at the time car rolled down the line - Oh well, we'll probably
never know ;-)

***************************************
>The body number says it all.  THe FC at the end indicates that it is a Mk2
body tub that someone has installed, probably after an
>accident or to solve a bad rust problem.  The Mk2 tub had the rear light
setup like the early Mk3's had.  Only it did not have reverse
>lights.  Those can be easily added, however.
>
>Sounds like the case is solved!
>
>Regards,
>Joe

72 PI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)