RE: stop press

To: Spitfire List <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: stop press
From: Davies William-qswi646 <QSWI646@email.mot.com>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 16:24:27 +0100
> I didn't like the Alchemy aspect either.  Their webpage reeks
> of carpet
> bagger-opportunist "projects".    I wonder if Ford is working
> behind the
> scene on this.  They do have a financial interest in Jaguar.  Why not
> explore the lower priced end of this market?  They certainly have the
> capital to work with.

I would be very surprised to see Ford getting involved at the lower end.
Their involvement with Landrover is logical, but why would they want to buy
another lossmaking facility when their own Dagenham plant is threatened with
closure? Most of the Rover range would be in direct competition with their
current products.
        Alchemy were at least unlikely to take on a project which they
couldn't make profitable. I fear that the Phoenix deal (if it happens) may
not give the company a viable long term future. If Longbridge really was
that straightforward, potential buyers would be queuing up! As I've already
said, I hope things work out, but it's a business, not a charity.
        Cheers,
                Bill.

                            This Message sent by:
    ^================^
   /                  \     William Davies
  /                    \    Total Triumph Enthusiast
/  \  ______  ______  /  \  1959 Herald 948 Coupé Y128
\__/  \     ||     /  \__/  1959 Herald 948 Coupé
\________________________/  1961 Herald 1200 Coupé
 | |                  | |   1964 Herald 1200 Saloon
 |_|                  |_|   1973 Spitfire MkIV
                            1959 Standard Atlas Pickup