J O.D.

To: Spit list <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: J O.D.
From: Mike Ginter <mginter@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 23:01:20 -0600
Here's another one.

My OD works fine when the gearbox is cold.  It will continue to work
even after the gearbox heats up provided it is not disengaged when hot.
The first time it is disengaged when hot, it will not re-engage.  When
the gearbox is hot and the OD is turned on, it will engage with no
load.  As soon as the throttle is applied under this condition, the OD
slips out again.  When I let up on the throttle (no load) it will
re-engage and so on and so on...

After I replaced the clutch, I refilled the gearbox with 30w motor oil
(my 79 has had 30w in it for 5 years and operates flawlessly).  I
services the OD filter and replaced all the o-rings I could get to
without removing the unit.  I even swapped out a solenoid.  Same
results.  This morning I drained the 30w and replaced it with 85w140.
It does the same thing, but it operates a little longer than it did
before, and now after only cooling down for a couple of hours it will
operate normally until of course, the gearbox heats up again.  It is a
tiny bit better though.

I have two theories (BTW - The day after I bought this car last October
it began this behavior and has been this way ever since.)

1)      Someone at some point put synthetic fluid (fluif? Joe you
listening?) in the gearbox and maybe after enough gear oil      changes I
can finally get it flushed out and it will behave       normally all the time
(wishful thinking I know).

2)      This appears to me to be a fluid/pressure issue.  Could it be   the OD
clutch linings?  What are the odds on one or the other?

Any opinions/brainstorming are welcome.

Mike