Fan Clutch

To: Spit list <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fan Clutch
From: Mike Ginter <mginter@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 22:47:55 -0600
Could someone please explain to me the theory of operation of the
Spitfire fan clutch?  I read somewhere that it is supposed to decrease
the fan speed as engine speed increases.  Is this correct?  Is it a
straight viscous coupling or is it supposed to be thermostatic?  Mine
spins when the car is not running albeit not easily, and operates at
full speed all the time and is quite loud.  Can anyone recount first
hand experience with their own unit as to the speed of the fan in
relation to engine speed?

Mike