nuisance undercoating

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: nuisance undercoating
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 15:19:36 -0800
Hi everyone.  The PO sprayed undercoating all over the firewall and shelf
where the battery, M/C's, wiper motor, etc. sits.

I'd really like to clean this area off in anticipation of the restoration
and respray I plan on having done soon.  What's the best solvent to use to
remove the undercoating -- or at least soften it up so I can more easily
scrape it off?  I think I've pretty much given up hope of salvaging the
paint underneath it.  I guess that's what primer's for, right?

Wish me luck.  I'm about to go get anothe estimate for the work I'd like
done but can't handle myself in a few minutes.  So far, the owner of this
place at least sounds positive and enthusiastic about the job.  It'll be
interesting to see if he still feels that way when I actually show up.
Somehow, finding someone who really likes this little car to work on is
almost as important to me as the quality of work they perform.  A little
positive energy goes a long way with me.

Best wishes,

Jeff in San Diego