Cams and bearings - again (sorry!)

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Cams and bearings - again (sorry!)
From: "Brad Kahler" <bkahler@jacads.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 20:10:26 -1000
Listers,

I have not been following the cams and bearings threads as close as I
shoudl have.  However I recently picked up an early spitfire engine block
that I plan to rebuild into a mild street engine and then swap it into my
spitfire.

So....

It came as big news to me when I found out the 1147 engines didn't have
cam bearings! (ok sometimes I'm a little slow, I admit it!)  However after
reading some of the recent posts on the subject I'm real confused about
something.  From what I think I read it sounds like all the blocks have the
same size cam journal openings and the differences are that the mk3 had
smaller journals on the cam shaft and bearings were used instead of steel
on steel like the 1147 and 1500 blocks.

So, if thats the case is it possible to use the 1300 cam and bearings in a mk1
block?

If thats not the case, is it possible to line bore the journals to fit cam
bearings?  If so then what bearings would be used with what cam shaft?

TIA

Brad

My Triumph Web Site Http://www.141.com/triumphs (updated 12/12/99)
My Dodge Web Site Http://www.141.com/dodge (updated 9/17/99)

(Errors have been made, Others will be blamed.....)

1964 Spitfire4 BFC25720L (now camber compensated!)
1962 TR4 CT288L
1962 TR3B TCF1564L
1959 TR3A parts car
1951 1/2 ton Dodge Truck B-3-B-108 being restored
1953 Mayflower - TT29490LDL