Re: gas prices - YIKES!

To: "David Massey" <105671.471@compuserve.com>,
Subject: Re: gas prices - YIKES!
From: Laura.G@141.com (Laura Gharazeddine)
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 09:38:24 -0800
In Orange County, people commute because of the price (and availability) of
housing and the location of the jobs. NOT because they want to. No one WANTS
to spend an hour or more on the freeway every morning and every night.

Laura G.

Vita brevis est: rapide agite, vigore strigate!

Message text written by "Westerdale, Bob"
>Consider, if you will, the average distance traveled as part of a daily
work commute by European workers.  I worked for Philips (Holland based
company)
in a US office, and the Dutch were always amazed at how far we Americans
drive
everyday to/from work.<

The situation we Americans put ourselves in in terms of commute distances
is a direct result of the low prices we pay for gasoline.  We don't commute
longer distances because God intended us to.  We do so because we (as a
society) choose to.

This is but one example af the detrimental effects low fuel prices have
wreaked upon our society.

Dave