Help me put the "Gas Out" Hoax to rest forever?

To: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Help me put the "Gas Out" Hoax to rest forever?
From: David Brock <davidb@ilx.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 11:40:18 -0500
Friends:

I'm sure, with all this talk of gas prices, that I'm not the only one who
has received the "Great North American Gas Out" chain-letter.  Since we're
all at least partially vested in the price of gasoline, could I ask anyone
who would like to help me for a favour?  Keep track of daily gas prices in
your part of the world for the next 6 weeks.

The "Gas Out", for those who haven't heard, says that if everyone stops
buying gas for a few days, the oil companies will have to lower prices.  The
theory, to me and many others, doesn't hold water, since we're not actually
driving less, so we're consuming the same amount, just not on those
particualr days.  Anyway, I've searched the net for gas prices around the
continent last April (this thing has been running for several years, every
April) and can't find it- I'm going to record it and create a page myself,
hopefully with your help.

What can you do?  First, please contact me, off-list <davidb@ilx.com>, and
let me know you'll be keeping track.  Tell me where you are, so I know where
I have a sampling from (It would be good to get indicators from outside
North America too, to compare) then just keep track of the gas prices in
your area between now and then end of April.  For consistentcy, use the same
station and type of gas, and try to get a reading every day. (at the same
time-of-day, if they fluctuate over the course of the day)  Once we're done,
just send me your data.  All I'm looking for is location, and about 40
date-price rows.  Plain text is just fine.

I appreciate this, I'd like to be able to respond to next years' "Gas Out"
chain-letters with a definative answer that it doesn't work, and proof!

;-David
'73 1500 FM3812U