Re: John's 3.27 rearend question

To: "Ron St. John" <st-john@mediaone.net>
Subject: Re: John's 3.27 rearend question
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 06:04:52 -0800
>I've read your reply a couple of times.  Is it fair to say that you
>agree with me regarding John's question?  That is, John cannot simply
>install a 3.27 ring and pinion gear set in his Spitfire rear
>defferential.  He will need to get a GT-6 pumpkin to accomodate,
>correct?
Yes, he will need a complete pumpkin, plus the ring and pinion from a GT6
(stock without overdrive), or a TR7 with an automatic tranny [small type
diff].  IF converting to this ratio, I would look for the TR7.  Since you
will have to do the same amount of work to set it up you might as well get
a slightly stronger diff in the process -

72 PI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)