John's 3.27 rearend question

To: Spitfire Discussion Group <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: John's 3.27 rearend question
From: "Ron St. John" <st-john@mediaone.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 22:13:42 -0800
John:

After installing the aluminum block '66 Buick V-6 225' (3.7 L) engine in
my '70 Mk III in 1980 I soon realized that the 4.11 rearend in the car
would not work well.  I searched all over for the answer to the problem
back then, the old fashion way, by phone.  My recollection is that I
tracked down someone out east on a Triumph racing team who told me that
a 3.27 ring and pinion gear set would only fit in a non-overdrive GT-6
rearend.  Thinking about it now that makes sense to me because the GT-6
gear set is probably a lot more heavy duty to handle the additional
torque.

I purchased a non-overdrive GT-6 pumpkin with a broken 3.27 ring and
pinon, and a new 3.27 ring and pinion.  I traded my 4.11 rearend to the
mechanic for installing the new ring and pinion into the non-overdrive
GT-6 pumpkin I purchased.  I became very good at pulling the rearend out
of the car and re-installing it because it took 3 attempts before he got
the gears shimed properly so there was no hum.  Still have the rearend
in the car and I've never experienced any of the problems that others
have had with the Spit rearend when they've gone to more bhp.  The Buick
has approximately 170 bhp with its headers and dual exhaust.

If you want longer legs the 3.27 is the way to go but you need the bhp
too.