Re: On the Hook

To: "List Spitfires" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: On the Hook
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 21:44:02 -0000
Hi all
In the UK we have basically to have (on cars the age of ours) either:- ABC
123, 123 ABC or ABC 123D type format. for 123 substitute numbers 1 to 999 .
The suffix is used to denote the year of registration. Letters A to D ran
Jan to Dec E ran Jan to Aug F and subsequent ran Aug to Jul. We are not
supposed to move the letters / numbers around to make words though some do,
locally there was a Range Rover with the plate GBL 10N, this nicely makes GB
L10N.
Each of the areas has 2 letters that denote the area of first registration
though the vehicle keeps it's plate for life unless a personal plate is
transferred to it, the vehicle is free to move around the country so the
area thing gets a bit mixed up.
The Isle of Wight area letters are ?DL. I like the plate that came on my
2500 PI which by the way was destined for the scrap yard! (long story!) The
plate is VDL 100K and some people do LOOK! or is it VDL 10 0K, I don't know
yet!

Sorry for trying to explain our system if you know how it works, if you
don't I hope this will clarify it for you a bit.

Graham.
2500PI MKII    VDL100K '72 Scrapyard refugee
2000    MKI     KDL 528F '68 Scrapyard refugee
Dolomite 1850  JNW 664N '74 Scrapyard refugee (now Sprint powered)
Toledo 1300     LDL 143P   '75
1300 FWD       HDL 967E   '67