O.P.S. WARNING & Question

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: O.P.S. WARNING & Question
From: "Ree Gurley" <reegurley@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 11:53:00 -0600
   Amen, Avi.  A couple of weeks ago, I started getting a flickering oil
light at idle as the oil started to warm up.  With the oil HOT, the light
became bright steady green at idle, 2000 rpm, 3000 rpm, etc. - not good
news.  Fresh oil, new filter & cleaned-up O.P.S. contacts didn't help.  Then
I noticed minute seepage from the end of the O.P.S., so I removed it &
screwed in a mechanical gage directly into the engine for testing.  Ran the
engine for 3 hours, got the oil super-hot, & had minimum oil pressure of
30-32 at idle (850rpm) and 52-54 at high rpm - super good news!  I found an
old Stewart-Warner mini-gage set (with senders) amidst my stuff & installed
it - now have  decent oil pressure & voltage readings (couldn't get the temp
to work, but don't need it anyway - the stock Smith's temp gage works fine).
Taped off the 3 original wires (ignition, oil light, ground), so I no longer
have my warning light, but don't care too much; maybe if I pick up a new
3-pronged switch & T-connector, I'll someday re-rig the light.  My 78
Federal Spit does not have an anti-run-on valve, so taping off the O.P.S.
wires doesn't appear to affect the fuel venting (which is, in fact, screwed
up, but that's another story).
   I agree with you that these O.PS.'s can pop & lead to quick disaster.  My
additional point is that they can start slightly leaking, actuate the green
light, and scare the heck of the driver.

Ree G. in Silver Spring, MD  -  78 Spit  FM73070U O