RE: Transmission cover - ABS or Original?

To: Spitfire List <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Transmission cover - ABS or Original?
From: "Simmons, Reid W" <reid.w.simmons@intel.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 08:18:54 -0800
Jeff;

I recently replaced the fiberboard transmission cover in my Spitfire with an
ABS type even though the original was in very good to excellent shape.
Don't bother "transplanting" the insulation.  (One of my Spitfire books
recommends replacing this stuff periodically anyway.)  I used a type of
insulation that has aluminum foil on both sides and something similar to
thin "bubble rap" in between.  I glued this to the underside of the ABS
cover plus I put another sheet between the transmission cover and the
carpet.  This really keeps out the engine heat and noise.

Reid
'79 Spitfire (original owner)