Re: Performance increase of Weber DCOE Carbs.

To: "Craig Smith" <CraigS@iewc.com>, "'Spit list'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Performance increase of Weber DCOE Carbs.
From: William Manning <gripdad@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2000 14:48:25 -0800

Joe, Laura et al,
    The Webers have to be set up using changeable choke sizes. The DCOE 45 uses
34mm to 40mm choke which is good for about 400cc to 600cc per cylinder
respectivly using one choke per cylinder on a heavily modified race engine. A
better choice would be to use the DCOE 40's for two carburetor heavily modified
engine operation with a choke range of 28mm (250cc per cylinder) to 34mm (400cc
per cylinder) since you should always use the smallest choke that works well
with
a particular engine.
    Most full race Spits in VARA use either a single DCOE 45 or dual DCOE 40s if
they are running Webers. This includes the 1147's through the 1500's. My bored
and stroked small journal1296 (now closer to1400cc's) runs very well to 8000 RPM
using dual 40 DCOEs and this is a HEAVILY MODIFIED engine. It drinks about 5
gallons of 110 octane leaded fuel at $5.00 a gallon in a 20 minute race.
            Bill-  VARA E/P Spitfire #3