Re: Thrust Washers

To: Huw Upshall <hupshall@wolfenet.com>
Subject: Re: Thrust Washers
From: Ted Schumacher <tedtsimx@q1.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 09:22:47 -0500
Huw Upshall wrote:

> Can some nice soul out there explain to me the procedure for replacing the
> thrust washers while the engine is in the car?

>  Huw Upshall            Email:
>                                home: hupshall@wolfenet.com
>                                work: hupshall@microsoft.com
>                         http:
>                                home: www.wolfenet.com/~hupshall
>
>  'Misspelled?  Impossible!  My modem is Error-Correcting!'
remove the oil pan and rear main cap. use a stiff piece of thin metal
and push on the end of a tw while you rotate the crank in the direction
you are pushing the tw.  this will help it "roll" out.  repeat the
process for the other side. be sure to install the new tw with the
notched face in the correct position.  you should measure end float to
make sure you use the correct thickness tw.  end float should be held
tothe tight side - .004".  while you have the pan remeoved, check the
condition of the thrust surface on the crank and rear main cap.  also
inspectr the rear maing bearing and crank journal.  remember when you
pput it back together to make sure all torques were correct. also, since
all the oil has been draianed,  make sure you have oil pressure. build
it up before starting the car. ted
--
Ted Schumacher
TS Imported Automotive