Re: Thrust Washers

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Thrust Washers
From: Growe58@aol.com
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 10:40:52 EST
In a message dated 12/19/99 2:14:06 AM Eastern Standard Time,
hupshall@wolfenet.com writes:

> Can some nice soul out there explain to me the procedure for replacing the
>  thrust washers while the engine is in the car?

No, but I'll try :)

(It's been a while and my memory dims so act accordingly...)

Lift up the front of the car.  Wheel ramps are better than jack stands because
they give you more elbow room.
Drain the oil and unbolt the oil pan.  The pan may "foul" on the crankshaft
throws
when you try to remove it; if so rotate the crankshaft until it is clear.
Unbolt the rearmost main bearing cap and the thrust washers will be visible on
both sides of the crankshaft.
Carefully push up on one side with a thin screwdriver until the t/w protrudes
enough from the other side to grip and pull it out.  Don't scratch anything!
Slide the new one in making sure that the oil grooves are facing the correct
way (I don't remember which way, but your manual will say).
It may help to lever the crankshaft fore and aft to get a little more
clearance.
Replace the bearing cap EXACTLY as it came off and make sure everything is
CLEAN.  Torque to spec.

HTH

Greg Rowe
78 Spitfire