RE: Diff pinion nut removal

To: "Ryan Smith" <shmitty99@hotmail.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Diff pinion nut removal
From: "Huw Upshall" <hupshall@wolfenet.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 14:41:52 -0800
NO!!!

If you use an impact wrench, you will not know how many turns it took to
remove the nut and so when putting it back on, you will over tighten and
screw up the collapsible spacer and then you'll have to get the whole thing
rebuilt..  but, if that is your plan, go ahead.  If you just want to change
the pinion oil seal:

What I did was this:

get a nice piece of angle iron, drill holes to match the input shaft and
bolt onto the pinion.  Please the differential in a vise.

Block the angle iron against a wall or other immovable object.

get a nice LARGE lever on your socket wrench to add a lot of torque.  It
will come loose, you might have to hit your lever w/ a large hammer.  I did.