Best way to clean engine?

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Best way to clean engine?
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 13:53:56 -0800
Back in the old days, I remember a gas station that offered steam-cleaning
services for engines.  Is this method safe for Spitfires?  Or is there an
easier/better/do-it-yourselfer way to thoroughly clean the gunk and grime
without messing up the electrical system?  As long as I keep the coil and
distributor covered with plastic, is there any harm in using a high-pressure
sprayer on a cold engine with some commercially available degreaser?  Any
tips?

Also, I will be taking delivery next week on the '69 Mk3 I purchased on
eBay.  Any suggestions on precautions I should take before driving for the
first time (besides checking tires, brakes, clutch, all fluid levels, etc.)?
Thanks in advance!