RE: RE: Spitfire gets praised and picked on!

To: Scions of the Spitfire <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: RE: Spitfire gets praised and picked on!
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 16:23:05 -0500 ()
Laura wrote:

> Well, at least gushing praise would bring out more "collectors" who'd
> buy up our lbcs and make them even harder to find for all us regular guys!

Reid replied:

> Good point.  If Spitfires get too much praise and notoriety they might get
> too popular, and then the well heeled collector crowd will bid up the prices
> of the cars and parts so that us common folk will no longer be able to
> afford them.  Of course then we could sell our cars to these "suckers" and
> with the money we could retire and live a life of luxury. :)

Well, gee, seems that someone already has "sung the 'praises'" of the
lowly early Spitfires. OK, it was Esquire magazine, but at least they knew
enough to talk to someone who actually knew SOMETHING about the cars.
Sure, that "spokesperson" was a wee bit biased, and sure he was quoted a
bit out of context in a couple of statements, but....

--Andy, a.k.a. "spokesperson"

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,  *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus (22) *