Re: winter storage

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: winter storage
From: Richard Gosling <rbgos@perkins-engines.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 1999 10:21:04 +0000
Just adding my voice to that of Ryan Smith - a little cold weather is no
reason not to enjoy a bit of Spitfire driving, and it is also much
better for your car to get out and about on a regular basis - pump some
oil around a bit, stop things seizing up or getting stiff.

Personally I never stop driving Daffy (my yellow '78 Spitfire 1500) all
year round - she takes me to and from work, day in, day out, all year
round - she did 16,000 miles last year.  Some people do think I'm a
little nutty, but it does prove that it can be done.  It does help to
have a hard-top though!

The only excuse I could accept for not driving all year round (unless
your car was vary rare and should be preserved for posterity) is
excessive snow - I suspect this trail of comments originated in America,
and I do accept you get some harsher winters than I get in South-East
England.  I know from experience that Spitfires can get a little scary
on ice...

So, go on, don't lock your car up all winter, take her for a spin (not
literally!) at least every week or two, it will do you and her a power
of good!

Richard Gosling
Cambs, UK
Daffy (Inca Yellow '78 Spitfire 1500)