Re: U-joint problem

To: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <dougbert@rcn.com>
Subject: Re: U-joint problem
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 14:28:45 -0800
>My problem is nastier.  The U-joint cup moves from side to
>side, and sometimes when you bend the joint, the cups sometimes
>rotate in the yokes...   There isn't really any axial endplay
>like you describe above.
Ooops, you need new axles and or u-joint flanges- if you have the shorter
MK1-4 axles, anything from an early Spitfire up until 73 will fit (the
u-joints are the same for all Spitfires).  If you opt for longer axles 73
and later (and you currently have the short units), there are quit a few
other things that have to be changed as well to put those in.  If you have
the 73 and later axles, then only those axles will fit - the u-joint
flanges for early (smaller) and later ones (larger) are different as well
The crossover was around the 1970-1971 model year for flanges, and I'm not
sure which units you have.  Good luck.

72 PI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)