Re: MK IV's and 1500's

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MK IV's and 1500's
From: Growe58@aol.com
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 22:26:53 EST
In a message dated 11/27/99 8:31:55 PM Eastern Standard Time, Fred
Griffiths (griffco@mail.cadvision.com) writes:

> I'm still rather confused by the differences in the MK IV and 1500
>  models as we see them in North America.
>   I've just read "Triumph Sports Cars" by William Krause, and
>  still don't know the answer to this:
>   He says the MK IV has a Walnut dash and makes no mention of the
>  black plastic dash.  I *have* a 1971 MK IV that has the black plastic
>  dash, then I have a '73 1500 that has the walnut dash.
>   Any idea when each was introduced?
>  Cheers, Fred

In 1969, the black vinyl dash with instuments in front of the driver
was introduced in North American MK3s while home market Mk3s
continued with the center instrument wood dash.  The MkIV was
introduced in 1971 and all markets had a black vinyl dash with
instruments in front of the driver.  In 1973, the North America
models had the 1493 engine and were called 1500s, the balance
of the world, unburdened with emissions regs, continued to use
the 1296 engine and were still called MkIVs.  All 1973s now had
the wooden dash with instruments in front of the driver, an
arrangement that continued when the rest of the world got the
1500 in 1974.  The following chart summarizes (B= Black
vinyl, W=Wood, C=Center Insturments, D= Instruments in
front of driver)

                North America          Balance of World
68                   WC                          WC
69                   BD                           WC
71                   BD                           BD
73                   WC(1500)                 WC(MKIV)
74                   WC(1500)                 WC(1500)

Boy, I hope I got this right or I'm going to look REALLY
stupid :)

Greg Rowe
78 Spit