Re: Lots o questions

To: Patrick Baize <speedracre@netzero.net>
Subject: Re: Lots o questions
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 18:28:24 -0700
Patrick,
Undoubtedly, you ordered a clutch for the Mk1 and got the smaller one.
When it comes to the MkIV and 1500 clutches, it gets a bit dicier.  The
reason is while the pressure plate is virtually the same, the disks are
different, owing to the different splines on the transmission's pilot
shaft.  The Disk for all the three rail transmissions has the same
splines (10 of them).  The single rail transmissions have finer splines
and therefore more of them.  If you order a 3-piece clutch setup be sure
that you specify whether your transmission is a single rail (late
Spitfire) or a 3-rail (early one).  You should get the one for the MkIV
if you have a 3-rail tranny connected to the MkIV engine.

Regards,
Joe

Patrick Baize wrote:

> The Motor is a FK 1296cc 71-72   And I replaced it.. Should have stated in my
> prvious email that it was a 1296cc..  Does it use the same clutch disk as the
> 1500?
>
> THnx
> Pat 63 Spitfire (71-72 1296cc motor)
>
> SJagGo@aol.com wrote:
>
> > Patrick,
> > The red rubber grease is to put inside the dust cover to protect the
>aluminum
> > from corrosion.  Also, what is your engine number.  Someone may have put a
> > later model engine in your car, hence a larger clutch disc and pressure
>plate.
> > Bill Brockschmidt

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer