U-joint grease fittings

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: U-joint grease fittings
From: "Walt Fogle" <foglew@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 17:55:09 PST
Hello Listers:

I'm rebuilding a set of used axles for a winter swap-out to my '73 Spit.
I've read that u-joints should have a plug installed when in use and that
the actual grease fitting is inserted only when lubing the joint.  The new
Hardy-Spicer joints I purchased have only the grease fittings.

What's the opinion/practice out there about plugs and fittings?   Any harm
in having the fittings installed all the time?  The used axles I bought had
one fitting and one plug installed on them.

Thanks and best regards,
Walt Fogle
'73 Spitfire 1500