Shoping in the DC area; skip Motorhead and go to Mountjoy

To: spitfires@autox.team.net, spitfire-enthusiast@egroups.com
Subject: Shoping in the DC area; skip Motorhead and go to Mountjoy
From: Nolan Penney <npenney@pop.erols.com>
Date: 15 Nov 1999 12:19:42 -0800
Went shopping in the DC area with Ludwig for some Spitfire parts.  It was an
enlightening day, and he suggested I post about it, since I'm the one close to
the computer these days.

We started off going to Motorhead ( http://www.motorheadltd.com/ ).  They're
supposed to be a premo place in the area.  Ludwig already had printed up his
list of what he wanted from their catalog, and I wanted to fill up the bed of
the truck with used parts.  Turns out that they don't carry much inventory at
all, couldn't care less about selling it, and told me that their used part
story about selling excess inventory by the pound was a joke.  It really was.
They absolutely didn't want to be bothered by looking on the shelfs to see if
they had parts.  No kidding, they said that point blank to Ludwig.  They
finally ended up throwing us out because we wanted to buy parts.  To say it was
disapointing would be an understatement.

Then we went off to a shop I had just found called Mountjoys (
http://members.aol.com/mtjoysauto/index.html ).  Can't say we hit paydirt
there, as they had very little for older Spitfires like Ludwigs available.  But
they sure did have the right attitude!  Lots of interesting used stuff and odd
stuff.  They have stacks of used lugage racks, replacement left and right hand
mirrors on the shelf, and lots off small odd stuff right there.  Be it
colortunes to waxoil kits and urethane bushings.  They've got a goodly supply
of dismantled parts, and apparently a very interesting crew of mechics, as they
are building a fascinating racing GT6 there that the one person running the
store on Saturday showed me.  While we didn't spend any money that day, I'll be
back to spend more!

So the long and short of it for use was that Motorhead was a waste of time, and
will never be contacted by either of us again.  But Mountjoy was interesting,
and I'll be in touch with them again, and would suggest to others in the area
that dropping by would be a good idea.