Re: Spitfire Shocks + Bushings

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <relliott@cjnetworks.com>,
Subject: Re: Spitfire Shocks + Bushings
From: "Keith R. Stewart" <kstewart@wwdc.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 21:46:40 -0400
Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou wrote:

> On the bushings:  6 or 7 years ago, I did a full front-end
> rebuild (except shocks) on my '72 Spit.  I got the parts kit from
> British Parts NW.  Since then, the car had maybe 5000 miles of driving,
and
> spent most of its time in storage.  Then recently, when I started
actively
> driving my car again, I noticed that the lower A-arm inner bushings had
basically
> disintegrated.  In fact, they were in much worse shape than the original
ones I
> had replaced 7 years previously.  So this time I got a set of bushings
> from TRF to replace them.  I guess time will tell if they are of better
quality.
> I have no way to tell if the old and new parts were even made by
different
> manufacturers.  (I have been generally satisfied with other stuff I
> have bought from British Parts NW).

This is not surprising if the bushings were of the standard type. I too had
a number of rubber products from another vendor that also did not last very
long. I concur that I have not had this type of experience with products
from TRF. However, you might try the polyeurathane bushings for the front
and rear...these last longer and perform better. Ted Schmancher at
TSImported Automotive is great for these...I believe he has these made
specifically to his specifications.

Cheers
Keith