RE: 79 clutch

To: "'Brett Soren'" <mr_creosote@hotmail.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: 79 clutch
From: Davies William-qswi646 <QSWI646@email.mot.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 08:52:03 +0100
Brett,
        Do you mean clutch judder, or a squealing noise on takeup of drive?
Squealing is usually caused by failure of the release bearing on the clutch.
Judder, on the other hand, can be caused by any of the following:
1 - Low quality clutch assembly (usually the plate)
2 - Bent gearbox input shaft - sometimes damaged during gearbox removal from
car
3 - Bent engine backplate - sometimes damaged during gearbox removal from
car
4 - Engine/gearbox metalastic mountings breaking up.

Number 4 is the easiest to check (and fix), the others will need the gearbox
out to fix.

> The cluth on my 79 spitfire is chattering whenever I start
> form a stop.
> What could be causing this?  Thanks a lot!

                            This Message sent by:
    ^================^
   /                  \     William Davies
  /                    \    Total Triumph Enthusiast
/  \  ______  ______  /  \  1959 Herald 948 Coupé Y128
\__/  \     ||     /  \__/  1959 Herald 948 Coupé
\________________________/  1964 Herald 1200 Saloon
 | |                  | |   1970 Spitfire MkIII
 |_|                  |_|   1973 Spitfire MkIV
                            1959 Standard Atlas Pickup