Re: Dual SU pictures

To: Greg Ames <tga@arrowpoint.com>
Subject: Re: Dual SU pictures
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 1999 18:25:07 -0700
Greg,
Thanks, I don't really need one myself but it is reassuring that they
are available in case I do another similar conversion.  I am going to
switch my son's Mk2 over to cable linkage because his firewall holes are
worn out and it is cheaper and more effective to switch over.  I have at
least 3 pedal assemblies from later cars which will snap right in.  The
real problem is figuring out a proper assembly for attaching the cable
to the throttle interconnecting linkage on a 1147 engine.

Unfortunately, Triumph (to my knowledge) never had such a setup.  So it
looks as if I will have to do a bit of engineering.

Regards,
Joe

Greg Ames wrote:

> Unfortunately, I can't offer much more info.  The PO did the dual SU
> installation sometime in the early 80's.  When I bought the car, he
> mentioned that "some piece of the throttle linkage" was hard to find and
> apparently hadn't been imported to the US, but I'm not sure of the exact
> part.  He wound up sending money to friends in England, who went down to
> the local Triumph dealer to buy the parts he needed.
>
> Ken C told me he was also able to find the parts from John Graves at
> Spitfire Spares (http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~alecks/)
>
> At 17:54 10/9/99 -0700, Joe Curry wrote:
> >Interesting,
> >I think all the US cars with the dual SU's had the rod linkage.  The UK
> >Spits must have continued using the SUs after the US ones went to the
> >ZS's.
>
> I believe this is correct.  I think the UK got the dual SU's to the end of
> the 1300.
>
> >That would explain the difference in the linkage here and there.

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer